Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Gahhh...And Some Changes in the Laundry Room

Ok, so the dining room sideboard transformation is not going as planned.  The blue does not look like I want it to and now I am second guessing even wanting it to be blue.  Gahhhhh!  So, today I went to Home Depot and bought some primer and white paint.  I am painting it white and that's gonna be that.  Not sure about distressing it yet - am a little scared of staining and feel out of my element doing it.  Any tips would be appreciated!  So, no pics of the sideboard, but I do have some changes to my laundry room! 

Here is a before picture...

This room is sooooo bare.  I had a major mistreatment (The Nester's term) on these windows for the first 6 months we have lived here while I have been deciding what color to paint this room, and whether I want to go ahead and just buy open shelves or wait (patiently) for cabinets.  I am not patient so I think I am going to go ahead, paint the room, and just put up shelves.  Cabinets can always come later...

The color is a toss-up between a creamy yellow or a pale gray.  Yet again, can't make up my mind.  On a positive note, I have been eyeing a pretty quilted sham at TJ Maxx for a couple of weeks and I knew I could make it into a window treatment for the room.  Here she is...

I love the colors and pattern.  Creamy yellow, pale gray, a little tan, and some white.  Perfect.  Especially considering my tile floors have tan and gray in them.  For $9.99 you can't beat it.  I cut the back panel off and am going to use that fabric for little touches around the room. I love the pattern!

I cut a slit in each end of the sham and slid it on the cheap-o rod. 

For now I have just put it on the rod that is already up there but I am going to by a pretty brushed nickel curtain rod and hang it up so it looks classy - this is just temporary, and ugly on the sides...

 I also pinned the bottom to the molding around the window so it look more like a roman type shade.  Not sure if it does, though, but I like it.


 I also bought a twin sheet set at TJ Maxx for $9.99 and used the flat sheet to make a skirt to go around my laundry tub sink, since (let's be honest) they are functional, but hideous.  Added bonus - storage underneath.  All I did was turn the sheet sideways and hot glue it around - gluing a little pleat every now and then.  No measuring - measuring is for patient folks. Before...

Here is the after, once I cut off the extra fabric on the bottom...
 

I don't even care about hemming it.  You can't see that it has a raw edge and it's the laundry room.  I am the only one who usually even steps foot (practically lives) in there. But I probably should steam out the wrinkles...later.

I just took the mirror down from above the sink and am spray painting it silver to put some color on the walls, and then I need to pick out my paint and get to rolling!

I also bought a pretty yellow rug at TJ Maxx for $25.00 and it is so cushy underfoot that I had to have it!  You can see it in the first picture, but it will look so much better in the final after shot!

So, there is the laundry room progress for now.  Now, going to go attack my sideboard with the 4th coat of paint.  Ugh...

Sara

2 comments:

  1. Gosh that is really a cost-effective way to update the room. I just love all the fabrics and colors, it is going to make your "stay" so much more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about painting the sideboard a pretty gray?

    ReplyDelete