Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Guest Bedroom Makeover

Well, go ahead and call me crazy.  My family comes to our house Christmas afternoon and spends the night every year for the past three years.  So, wouldn't you know I get a wild hair the Tuesday before Christmas and decide to paint the main guest bedroom - something that has been on my to do list since we moved into our house.  And, while I was at it, switched the furniture out between the two rooms.  That involved moving the double bed and nightstands out and bringing the queen bed and huge nightstands in.  All while my 2 year old looked at me like I was a crazy person...which I was, and am.  Needless to say, the room was finished in a day and my family didn't even get to use the room because of the snow and had to head back home Christmas night.  This room is begging for someone to come stay and enjoy it's beauty (at least I think it's beautiful).


No before pictures, but here is the room now...





The walls were painted Moonshine by Benjamin Moore.  I used Ace Hardware brand paint and actually loved the consistency and will definitely use it again.


Duvet cover from Target, aqua pillows from HomeGoods, and damask pillow from Garden Ridge...

The lamps are from Old Time Pottery and the butterfly prints are from a free printable website - like vintage printable but different.  I had it bookmarked and for the life of me don't know what happened to it.  I'll keep searching because it is a great site.

I painted the iron headboard with a chrome spray paint and need to add the footboard once I get it painted.  The nightstands were my first furniture painting project and the post is HERE.  It was my first post and the pictures look horrible, now that I look back on them!

Anyway, here are a few more pictures and thanks to Centsational Girl, who takes gorgeous photos, I played around with my manual setting on my camera and got some pretty good pictures (for me anyway).  She recently did a couple of posts on good picture-taking and I jumped in and experimented, too!






Thanks for stopping by!

Linking to...

The DIY Showoff's Project Parade The DIY Show Off




Dittle Dattle's

Boogieboard Cottage









 
 
 
 
 
 
Sara
 

40 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! It looks so fresh and inviting and the pops of black are the perfect contrast. Great job!!!

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to come stay in the new room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This room looks so tranquil. It has convinced me that I need to get on and paint my bedroom furniture white.
    So glad I came across your blog on DIY Show Off. I am looking forward to following you in 2011 and beyond :o)
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is just stunning! i love the touches of the soft aqua- they really make it welcoming and more whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! Wow - 1 day and at the holidays?! I love your craziness! haha And if it'll make you feel better, I'd love to come and be a guest. I might never leave that beautiful peaceful room! ;)

    Thanks so much for sharing your transformation in the DIY Project Parade!

    Happy New Year!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I love the colors scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fantastic! Found you on BNOTP Met MOnday. You clearly have an eye for decorating and design . . . I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so great. This is the colors I want to do my guest room in except change out the blue with a soft pink. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so ambitious to take on a project like that before the holidays. It turned our beautifully! Love the black accents. Would love to know where you got the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! Love how light and airy it feels!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Flat out fierce bedroom! Gorgeous :D

    I would be honored to have you add it to my blog party

    Amaze Me Monday Blog Party

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your room is so beautiful! I would love it if you would come and link up to my new link party,
    Masterpiece Monday, at my blog, Boogieboard Cottage. The link is already up, I hope you can join the party!
    Happy New Year!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colors you used! It's so cool to the eyes. The decorations and furnitures used, matches the color scheme. How I wish I can design and decorate my room that way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a perfect room... so tranquil and peaceful. The simple colors works like a charm. You definitely found a new follower in me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE the room, it looks so calm and soothing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great, well done!
    I'm hoping to get some painting done over the holidays too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful guest room. It seems so light and airy. Makes me think of spring - which I know is a long way off. I would be happy to be a guest in that room!

    Coming over from Met Monday and a happy new follower!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  18. The room looks great. I'll come & stay in it. But then, I might not want to ever leave. You did such a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fresh and inviting! Love it!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the wonderful comments, everyone! The mirror is from HomeGoods, by the way! A $29.99 find, which was a little steep for the size, but it was my inspiration piece!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's beautiful!!! I'd be happy to come stay if you really need a guest that bad. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this guest room. I linked over from southern savvy style. Your guests are going to adore this. I'm your latest follower. I'd love if you would come follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is one beautiful and bright room. I love the black and aqua accents. You sound like me starting a paint project at the worst time. I think it pushes you to get it done! Thanks for joining the party.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks so very pretty. I love the color scheme. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your room looks outstanding...it's so very PRETTY!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  26. New to your blog-- your guest room looks incredible! I love how fresh it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it! Such a peaceful and inviting room! Nana & Bubba are going to enjoy it! Thank you for sharing your beautiful home with everyone. And, please continue!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it! The decor, the colors, everything looks so beautiful and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It looks so pretty and fresh. I especially love the bit of blue in the pillows. If you have time, I would love for you to link this post to my blog party at http://firstadream.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. It really is gorgeous...so light and bright! Love the accents of black and a little color to really make the whites pop! Very nice...when can I come? ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  31. This room is beautiful! I really love the color you chose. I just came across your blog, and I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This room is just beautiful. So calm and serene. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are amazing that you could do all that in a day! Looks wonderful. I love the hint of bright color that the butterfly prints add. Pottery Barn's newest catalog has a big butterfly pillow on the front so you are ahead of the curve. I would love to know the website if you find it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You "AMAZE ME"! Thank you for linking up to the "Amaze Me Monday" blog party!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi! I just found you through Savvy Southern Style. I love the room! 2 questions- where did the curtains come from and the web site for the butterfly print? Thanks! Now I'm off to read your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love this room. I can't believe you did it in one day. I wish I could do that. I would live some suggestions on my rooms.
    www.mysouthernlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks everyone! My mom and I made the curtains by using white cotton tab top curtain panels. Some fabric from WalMart was added to the top with no-sew hem tape. I then added some aqua ribbon with hem tape to hide the raw edge between the two pieces of fabric. Hope that makes sense! Still can't remember the website with the butterfly prints but they are by an artist from the 1920's - E.A. Seguy if you want to Google it and look at the images.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love, love your new room. But especially love the window treatments! I think the aqua trim is a fabulous touch and really finishes the piece! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  39. AMAZING! I love how airy and bright this room looks. And the pops of black against the pale are perfect.

    ReplyDelete